Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Crackers & Cows

Another busy weekend, packing, working, planning.

Went to hang out with the herd on Saturday and Monday.  They are an hour away from me now and I miss not being able to just scoot up the road to feed them apples twice a day.

So, I bought a box of their favorite graham crackers and headed North.

Most of the moms were nursing their growing calves when I arrived.


Then they came over to check my pockets.......  They found their treats.



Then I noticed how fabulous this 5 week old bull calf looks.  The muscling and thickness at just 5 weeks of age.    He has "the look."    Would be a nice herd sire for a beef producer looking to put more muscling and some length on their calf crop.       However, once the colder weather comes I am making him a steer.



My other surprise was how quickly Wanda's multiple punctures and scrapes were healing up.
The swelling on her leg is now completely gone.  I sprayed her some more to keep any and all flys off of her while she continues to heal.           Wanda always gets extra treats....


I sprayed the rest of the herd as they came for their cracker treats and checked each over.  Gwen's lumps are a little less swollen and she is looking much better.

As I returned to my truck, I found these two girls looking for a ride.


They were insistant that they wanted to hop in.  I was tempted to give them a ride back to their farmhouse, but thought I better not start a habit that would be hard to stop.   I gave them a treat and sent them on their way.

As I left the farm I glanced to my right at the view of a typical Vermont farm.    Lucky cows.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The puppies did look like they would like to go with you.

    I'm glad the wounds are healing!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice big calves. Simmentals here have the best calves out of all 1800 on the lease even better than the Charolais that everyone thinks are so great. I like the Simmentals best to handle too. Just nice cows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the wounds are healing so quickly and well.

    ReplyDelete