Friday, December 10, 2010

The Bad

Names:  Mean & Meaner  or  Mean & Nasty  or Bad and Badder. 
If you can think of more appropriate names for these two beasts of the barnyard, lets hear them.

Ages: unknown, but I guess 5 or 6

Occupations:  Barnyard Bullies.  Every school has one. 
We got 2 in this barnyard.    God help us.



These 2 HUGE angus cows are the junk yard dogs of the hay rack.

They never leave it.



They push cows and calves away from the hay.
They never go out to the field to chew cud or take a walk.
Neither of them had a calf this year and neither are bred.  Both are open.

One of them continues to challenge me while I am unwrapping the plastic netting off the hay rolls after I drop them into the hayrack, every day.

The other one charges me as I top off the water tanks.

If anything happens to me while I am doing chores, and my cold lifeless body is found--its correct to assume that these 2 cows "did it."



Both are hugely obese and eat their weight in hay every week.  $$$

When I first arrived here, I could not believe the rolls of fat on these 2 cows.



Look at this brisket!!!!  All I can think of is corned beef and cabbage each and every time I see this cow.  Not kidding.




One is the size of my truck and the other is just a little less huge.

This is the biggest, baddest cow in the entire State of Vermont



This is the second biggest and baddest cow in the state.



Just let me state for the record that these cows are NOT mine.

I do not know why the farmer who owns this farm continues to shell out $ to keep these 2 troublesome cows.

I cull for 3 reasons, following the "O" rule:  Old, Ornery or Open.

Open cows get fat and can't get bred.
If they do eventually get bred then they have difficulties calving. 
Vet bills follow.

These bad cows really push the other cows around and I constantly worry that they may cause a stillborn birth or late term abortion from my pregnant cows.

These 2 would of been on a fast truck to McDonalds 2 years ago if they were mine.



Cows like these would be perfect to donate to the local soup kitchen.
Tasty cheeseburgers, lasagna, chilli, meatballs, meatloaf, stew, meatpie and of course corned beef and cabbage.    These 2 meaty gals could feed 200 less fortunate people in Vermont and the cow owner could get a nice tax write off.

Next time you buy some Certified Angus Beef (CAB) think of these barnyard bullies and the havoc they create here in Vermont.   Take a few bites for me.




 Lots of cows here and lots of Cow Tales to tell. 

I call it Pasture Gossip.

5 comments:

  1. We just passed a bullying law here in Massachusetts. They probably haven't read about yet. I guess barnyard etiquette does not apply to them. So typical of bullies. Wouldn't you agree? Really enjoyed my visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heavens, I wish somehow I could dig out the picture of my father and his twin brother from 1924 and scan it and send it to you. I'm not joking ONE bit when I saw that first picture of those two ornery cows looks just like them! I'm a bit confused though - if they are your cows - why are you being challenged when feeding - and I didn't know cows were mean. I thought they were all sweet and nice and couldn't wait to get milked. Please don't spoil this for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what you need is one of Sequoyah's bitchy relatives:
    http://users.htcomp.net/slashv/home.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intersting post. I`m learning alot about cows and i do enjoy eating beef, its my favorite meat.
    Donna, NY

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dangerous aspect of feeding hadn't ever occured to me. Do you keep a cell phone on you? They are huge and could do some damage, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete