Thursday, August 26, 2010

Herefords in the Mist

I am in the process of finding a new place to move my herd to.

Being a "landless" farmer is very difficult.

After 10 years at the same farm, working beside my favorite 80+ year old farmer, his health has deterriorated to the point where he has passed the farm to his kids and grandchildren.

They do not want to have to manage a herd of cattle, so all cows will eventually be leaving the farm.

I have been looking for a proper place to bring my beloved cattle, and have met dozens of wonderful farms, farmers and cows.   Next week all my cows and their calves will go for a long ride to a temporary place for about 6 weeks.  Hopefully I will be able to find a more permanent place for the winter months.

I will be moving closer to the location my cows eventually end up at.  Its all in process, and takes up large chunks of time trying to balance all these moves, plus work and other critical parts of life.

Sleep is hard to achieve as my brain refuses to shut off.

With the cooler, wet weather we had the past 4 days the cows are happier, the pink eye has minimized, the flys have been reduced in population and the grass is growing.  All good things.


Here is a photo of one of the farms I went to look at to board my herd on a very rainy morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment