Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chair Chicken

Its 35 degrees today, the 4th day of the "January thaw."  Yesterday was a bright 50 degrees and all the snow melted.  I am home sick with the flu.  Its nasty.  But chores must still get done.

I was in the house just few minutes when I noticed one of my blonde pullets was sitting in my favorite porch chair.

There have been small feathers in it the past few weeks, but I thought that the wind had placed them there.

Apparently not.



 I quickly realized how long this had been going on when big, blonde Marilyn chased the other hens away when they approached "her" chair.




 No other chicken has gotten near that chair all day.




I expect at some point in the very near future I may find an egg on that chair.

I hope I do not find "anything" else... as I really enjoy sitting in that comfortable chair to read my farm magazines.    so far, so good.

Marylyn is no chairmen of the Board........more like the chairHen of the Porch.




Have you had a hen claim something of yours, as their own?
~

10 comments:

  1. ha! i love her sitting in the chair "proclaiming" to the other hens. ha ha ha ha ha! its like she is the queen of the chickens.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great! We have a hen that insists on coming up on our veranda, I call her "deck chicken". She tries to perch on our chairs at night and has to be carried home to the hen house. She has laid a few eggs in the dog bed (probably more than I know about, as I think the dogs get them first) and generally makes herself at home (and yes, she poops everywhere too, so I have been trying to discourage her).

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, just one "claimed" me, Sarah. Sarah said I was her best friend and followed me around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I would love to have you join The HomeAcre Hop at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/1213.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, That's cute! Although I'd be shooing her out of there before she left me a present... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For quite a while our chickens had the free run of our yard, but when one started to use the boot of our car as her favorite seat -and dropping 'things'on it- we decided to divide our territories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Marilyn is one smart chick! Stopping by from Wildcrafting Wednesday Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny! I hope you don't find something else in the chair you don't want! Hope you get to feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this on Wildcrafting Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for the giggle. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete