Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pullet Surprise


Every day I have been finding a small "gift" in one of the nest boxes.  It started about 2 weeks ago, when the first egg was laid in front of me on the grass by a young Speckled Sussex pullet.


 So far, every day at 5 pm there is a brown pullet egg waiting for me. It is a delightful experience to lift the roof of the next boxes and find a fresh egg.


The new egg is perfectly positioned right up next to the wooden egg that I put in the nest box to encourage laying of eggs IN the nest box and not in the front yard.        It works.


Considering that this flock isn't due to lay any eggs until August, these eggs are a real bonus.
I thought my Red Sex Link would of been the first to start producing eggs, but apparently not.

I am going to get more Speckled Sussex. They are friendly, winter hardy, extreme bug eaters and are easily trained .

Have your pullets started laying yet?

Find any unusual shaped eggs?
~

1 comment:

  1. Still way too soon for my little girls. But it looks like we got at least 2 roosters from the 5 straight run Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. :((

    ReplyDelete