Monday, July 19, 2010

TailGait Gwen

Gwen is a 3 year old cow. She is 1/2 Simmental and 1/2 Hereford.    With no better name for this good cross, I just call her a "Smurf."    I love Gwen's double "goggle" eyes. That red pigment protects her from sunburn, pink eye and fly attacks.   Galvin is her second really nice calf.   His dad is a Hereford, so he is 2/3 Hereford and 1/3 Simmental.  Good thing I paid attention in Algebra class, cause I have to know fractions inorder to raise cattle!  

       
I often forget that Gwen is in the herd, because she is "no maintenance."   She is quiet and peaceful and never gets upset even if a pack of coyotes goes racing thru the fields at 2 pm.  She has her calves in the barn if the weather is incliment and won't allow those calves out of the barn for 4 or 5 days. A very maternal cow, she has lots and lots of milk and sometimes takes a nap when Galvin nurses for extended periods of time.

Wish I had 50 more just like her. 

3 comments:

  1. Herefords are actually my favorite cattle. (Gwen means white in Welsh.) It's been my experience that simmentals are very nice cows (and bulls)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 cows like that would in fact be wonderful! Girls like her are worth their weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwen looks like a nice cow! And what a cute baby calf. Neat blog! Check out our blog at thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete