Sunday, May 27, 2012

Swamp Co-Habitation

I am fortunate to pass several large beaver-made swamps on the way to work. Twice a day I get to observe the wildlife, in all 4 seasons, that use this body of water in many different ways.

For the last several weeks, in the fog, I could barely make out a shape on top of the main beaver lodge.

When the foggy mornings ended I was delighted to see this duck family using the beaver lodge to raise their family and use it as a guard post.
(Click on the photos to see the rest of the camouflaged family in the water and in the reeds.)


In the morning the female and her ducklings were on it, and in the evening I was able to take a few photos of the drake on the lodge acting as a sentry.


 .
I was a great distance away, but the minute I sneezed, he heard me and started alerting his family.


I wonder how the beavers feel about their quacky tenants.

What wildlife have you seen lately?
~

No comments:

Post a Comment