Friday, March 8, 2013

Double Trouble

All the rain of the past few days has turned the barnyard into a muddy quagmire.

I am greeted each morning now with GlenNora  inside the hay ring.  Even though it irritates me because I have to get her OUT of it before I can drop a bale to the herd, I do realize she seems to be the smartest heifer in the bunch.   She has found an easy way to stay out of the mud the past few days.



She has finally found the special opening in the hayring by which to exit (and enter) from.
Glennie doesn't seem fond of exiting.


She at least stands up when she sees me coming, which is an improvement over the past 2 weeks when I have to entice her to wake up, get up and get out of the hay ring amidst the herd chaos of waiting to get fed.

This is a good sized girl. She won't be a year old until May.


The rest of the herd seems to delight in my tongue lashing of this red lass each and every time I find her in the hay rack.


If this group could talk I often wonder what they would say in response to my morning frustrations with Miss Glennie.



Smudgie and Shorty say the same thing every morning and evening;

Feed us, I want that box of treats, got an apple ?



Yeah, that dog cookie looks good too, is that a carrot in your vest pocket ?



Just when I think i have seen it all.....

I return in the evening to again water the herd and tuck them in for the night and I see this.....

Maybe I need glasses.     I was seeing double.


Nap time IN the hay ring.    The Heifer Clubhouse

Glennie on the right and her sister, Gouda Giggles on the left.




The rest of the herd was eating the hay around them and bumping the heifers as they pulled out the good hay pieces they lay on. 

The girls didn't bother to get up as I walked over.  I think I surprised them. They actually look a little embarrassed.

I assume they will be out by morning when the next roll comes in.

At least I hope so.




Smudgie says:  Its my birthday today, yesterday and tomorrow...can I have that carrot ?


Sure Smudgie.  Just stay OUT of the hay ring, OK ?
~

35 comments:

  1. Lol! What a great post, and what naughty cows!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved reading this what a smart girl and now she has company in the nice dry island in the middle of the mud:) Before you know it they will all figure it out. Great shots. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! What a couple of characters! I hope they get too big soon to get in there! Your barnyard does look like a bit of a quagmire. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful white faces! We have lived with the mud for weeks now ... or at least, the hens have :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos of your fabulous Girls! They are a bit bigger than my Girls. Thanks again for sharing my Postcard Project, and for the card. Thanks to your Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those girls know where to find comfort in the wintery cold! I know it's frustrating to have to move them every time you want to feed them.

    I love Smudge's rectangular face mark - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Funny cows. Is it easy to get them out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. New here to your blog - you got me laughing and wondering how in the world is the cow going to get out - I know it got in but will it remember to get out the same way -- to much fun.. happy B-day from a new follower..
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, can't get past the cute cows! the hay is probably cozy for her.

    http://midasfive.com/?p=749

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat (I know you don't think it's neat), but neat how Glennie taught her sister to do what she does!! Sisters?? twins?? And how many times have you slipped in that mud?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I just found your blog through A Rual Journal. I've been reading and learning, I just pinned your chicken coop to my board. I hope to have chickens and a coop this spring/summer. I'm really enjoying your pictures. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i THink Glennie is your favorite! Come on, admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! Awesome pics. My hubby's grandfather was a dairy farmer, so this post brings back lots of fun memories!! Love your blog, too! Your newest follower from Let's Get Social. :)

    Kathy
    www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, how cute and what a clever Glennie!

    Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This whole post is great, and I'm sure you're not laughing about the heifer who likes to enter but not exit the ring, but from a reader standpoint, it's pretty darn funny. :)

    The pics are great.

    Visiting today from Let's Get Social Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute ... my husband has a client who owns her own farm and they just had a baby calf born the other day. It made me think of your recent posts on our link up! Too cute.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't blame them. The mud here is miserable too right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snacks and naps in the same place?? Count me in, for sure! =>

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, i am laughing here looking at the photos. every one of the cows has a look on their faces that seems to be saying "What are you looking at?"
    Beautiful animals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. always enjoy reading these posts of yours.. and these cows must definitely be a treat to watch, just reading about them and seeing their photos made me grin!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We use Bale Buddies for the round hay bales, for the horses. BBs may work for the cows. It would make your life a bit easier. Love the pictures. There's nothing like farm life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your post Cows have such intelligent faces

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love, love cows. I think they're so cute and smart. I bet they can't wait till the weather changes. :) I'm so glad I fund your blog I love it! from www.lucyintheskyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cows are quite amusing!

    Thanks for the smile and for using my personal favorite Q word! Quagmire. I actually use that in a lot of sentences...often to looks of puzzlement!

    Or perhaps...

    I'm just saying it wrong - ha!

    Thanks for linking!

    This was fun.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable- too bad they can't understand hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are pretty cute sitting there though, you have to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I didn't know cows were so smart! And the group of red girls are adorable! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute story. Cute to me, but not to you I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Quagmire is a great word but not too great to work in. It's muddy in these parts too.

    As for the cows, well, they're usually looking for their next meal as they hang out together...regular social debutantes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Quite the characters♫ My D effort: http://lauriekazmierczak.com/dells/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Animals provide us with lots of entertainment with the games they get up to.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an interesting surprise! The sure know what they like.

    ReplyDelete